Photo Credit: Carla TePaske
We all are starting to dream of our summer gardens. Sometimes while we are planning our gardens we want to try something new. If you have not tried growing herbs, I suggest give it a go this garden season. There are so many wonderful ways you can use herbs in your cooking, drinking and daily health.
We will be sharing ways to use herbs here on the blog and at our garden events.
A simple recipe to get your taste buds ready for fresh herbs.
Soften the amount of butter you want in a warm bowl with a fork.. add a squeeze of lemon and two or three tablespoons of chopped herbs. Shape into a ball. Cling film and store in the fridge. Slice off as you need it.
Great for .. potatoes, veggies, chicken and on toast.
Herbs to try..
Carla TePaske, NCMGV
Have you used all your garlic scapes?
If you have not, I have a great idea and recipe for you.
2 cups garlic scapes, roughly chopped
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup walnuts
Pinch of salt
Pinch of pepper
1/2 - 3/4 cup of olive oil or sunflower oil
*note: feel free to mix in other herbs like basil, mint, cilantro, parsley or even kale to make the pesto more mild. We love garlic, so we do not mind!!
1. Add garlic scapes, Parmesan, walnuts, salt, and black pepper to food processor and scrape sides to make sure all ingredients are incorporated.
2. Turn on processor slowly add 1/2 cup oil. Once added, stop the processor and scrape sides to make sure all ingredients are incorporated.
3. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
4. If pesto is thick, add more oil while the processor is running.
5. Process pesto once more until it is creamy, about 1 minute.
6. Load the pesto into your preferred containers and store in your chest freezer for up to a year.
We enjoy using our pest for a dip with pretzels or chips.
We also use on homemade pizza.
The link below is where I found helpful tips on growing garlic and the pesto recipe.
Creative Vegetable Gardener
Subscribe to this blog and receive new posts in your email!!
Use the link below and follow the instructions. You will be asked to verify your subscription. If you do not receive the verification email, look for it in your spam folder.
|North Country MGV||