Have you used all your garlic scapes?
If you have not, I have a great idea and recipe for you.
2 cups garlic scapes, roughly chopped
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup walnuts
Pinch of salt
Pinch of pepper
1/2 - 3/4 cup of olive oil or sunflower oil
*note: feel free to mix in other herbs like basil, mint, cilantro, parsley or even kale to make the pesto more mild. We love garlic, so we do not mind!!
1. Add garlic scapes, Parmesan, walnuts, salt, and black pepper to food processor and scrape sides to make sure all ingredients are incorporated.
2. Turn on processor slowly add 1/2 cup oil. Once added, stop the processor and scrape sides to make sure all ingredients are incorporated.
3. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
4. If pesto is thick, add more oil while the processor is running.
5. Process pesto once more until it is creamy, about 1 minute.
6. Load the pesto into your preferred containers and store in your chest freezer for up to a year.
We enjoy using our pest for a dip with pretzels or chips.
We also use on homemade pizza.
The link below is where I found helpful tips on growing garlic and the pesto recipe.
Creative Vegetable Gardener
|North Country MGV||